Social media has only been with us for a quarter of a century. In that short time, the growth has been mindblowing. Here are some numbers:
- 3.5 billion using social media – that’s almost half the people alive today!
- 68% of U.S. adults use Facebook
- 3 hours is the amount of time that the average person spends each day on social media or messaging
- 500 million people are using Instagram stories each day
- 60 billion WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger messages are sent every day
- 35 minutes is the average time a user spends on Facebook every day
- 270 million people is the estimated number of fake Facebook profiles
- 707 is the average followers a Twitter user has
- 300 hours of video footage is uploaded to YouTube every minute
- 95 million photos are uploaded to Instagram each day
It has become a way to instantly connect with friends and family. It is a huge source of news, shopping, influencers, general entertainment and a way that businesses promote their products and services to us. Today, there are hardly any campaigns that we work on that do not have social media integration in some capacity.
Equally, so has the scrutiny. There have been many controversies surrounding the use of data, hate speech, the impact on mental health and fake news – and platforms are under more pressure than ever to be transparent.
Nonetheless, Social media day is for us to enjoy the positives that these platforms have brought into our lives, and maybe like or share a photo or two.